• Sublime skills: what do sub-editors do?
• Sub standards: why bother any more?
• Sub judice: abiding by the law, and following the NUJ Code of Conduct
Principles and practice
• Some golden rules for sub-editing
• How to avoid tarnishing them
• In it together: why writers need editors
• Pitfalls of poor writing and subbing
• Judgement calls on story length, content and quality
• Balance, news sense and sensitivity
• Working with what you’ve got
What’s the story?
• Getting to the point
• Intros: when and how to rewrite
• Cutting to fit
• House guides: strict but not stifling
• Layouts: ditto
• Spelling matters
• How to avoid Muphry’s law
• Art and craft of selling the story
• How to write good ones
This 1 day course costs £100 for NUJ members and £160 for non-members and this includes all materials, tea/coffees & sandwich lunch.
|You can pay for this course securely using the links below:|
Please note many of our courses are eligible for funding under a SDS Individual Learning Account, so let us know if you have an ILA at the time of booking and we can request a learning token for you.